New! Apothecary Exclusives at Molly Muriel
At Molly Muriel we are passionate about all things natural and healing. We are always making up our own remedies for ailments we ourselves experience at our Apothecary in Milwaukie, Oregon. When we find a new recipe or herbal experiment that brings us relief, we want to share it with you! That’s why we’ve decided to introduce new monthly recipes and supply kits.
Each month we will share a few of our favorite recipes both in-store and online. We will have a limited supply of the finished product available for purchase and also offer a supply kit if you feel inspired to use our recipes to make your own.
DIY: Allergy Relief Oil Blend
Summer is here and that means it’s the time of year when everything is in bloom here in the Pacific Northwest. As Oregonians, we live for summer- a time when we can enjoy a much needed break from the normal rain and grey skies we live in nine months out of the year.
While we love spending our summers outside gardening, camping, or simply enjoying a warm evening in our backyards, seasonal allergies can certainly put a damper on things. Whether it’s a change in the weather or a certain plant in bloom, we often find ourselves sneezing, itching our eyes, or becoming overwhelmed with nasal congestion. Luckily, we’ve discovered a natural remedy that is both simple and easy to create- the Allergy Relief Oil Blend.
What makes this oil blend so effective against allergies are the blend of essential oils lavender, lemon and peppermint. Together these three essential oils create a natural antihistamine which helps to reduce inflammation in the body and eases allergy symptoms.
Here's a little more info about these three essential oils:
- Lavender: Helps eliminate nervous tension, relieves pain and respiratory problems. It's also anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- Lemon: Is a natural anti-biotic, antiviral, antiseptic, and disinfectant.
- Peppermint: Contains menthol which helps clear the respiratory tract and has a cooling effect on the body. Because it is an expectorant, it provides instantaneous, though temporary, relief from nasal congestion, asthma, cold and cough.
• 30 drops lemon essential oil
• 25 drops lavender essential oil
• 10 drops peppermint essential oil
• Sunflower oil
• 10ml roll-on bottle
Combine essential oils in a small roller bottle then fill to the top with sunflower oil.
Note: All supplies and DIY kits are available at the Molly Muriel Apothecary in Milwaukie, Oregon.
Why Sunflower Oil?
We chose this particular carrier oil because sunflowers remind us of summer and sunshine. Sunflower oil is also rich in Vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant in the body. It also has anti-inflammatory qualities, which are derived from it’s vitamin content. You can read more about the benefits of sunflower oil here.
Note: If you prefer not to use sunflower oil or want to use something you already have in your kitchen, we recommend using extra virgin olive oil or sweet almond oil.
How To Apply:
Whenever you feel the allergy itch coming on, apply this oil blend to the bottoms of your feet and the base of your skull/neck. You can also rub it onto any irritated skin areas like around your eyes and nose.
• Do not use this oil blend on children under the age of 6.
• Test the oil blend on a small portion of your skin first. If you experience any sensitivity or irritation, do not use.
• Essential oils should never be applied directly to skin, always use a carrier oil for dilution.
• Molly Muriel Apothecary is not a medical doctor by any means, so we cannot guarantee this oil blend will work for you. Consult your doctor before using essential oils.