NEW! APOTHECARY EXCLUSIVES AT MOLLY MURIEL
At Molly Muriel we are passionate about all things natural and healing. We are always making up our own remedies for ailments we ourselves experience at our Apothecary in Milwaukie, Oregon. When we find a new recipe or herbal experiment that brings us relief, we want to share it with you! That’s why we’ve decided to introduce new monthly recipes and supply kits.
Each month we will share a few of our favorite recipes both in-store and online. We will have a limited supply of the finished product available for purchase and also offer a supply kit if you feel inspired to use our recipes to make your own.
DIY: Summer Recovery After-Sun Spray
Summer is in full swing and that means it’s time to get outside and soak up the sun’s radiance. No matter how often we slather on sunscreen, there’s always that extra hour you stayed in the sun that you hadn’t planned on, or that unreachable spot on your back that you missed covering with SPF. Whether you are feeling the heat of your latest sunburn or your skin is simply feeling parched from the sun, this After Sun Spray will bring you some natural, soothing relief.
Our After Sun Spray is made using a combination of essential oils and ingredients you may already have in your pantry or can find easily at your local drugstore.
Aloe vera is a well-known remedy for soothing sunburns. But we tend to avoid the bottled green gel we’re all familiar with seeing at our local drugstores because of the added chemicals and synthetic ingredients. Aloe vera oil and juice are our favorite forms of aloe because they are both natural and 100% pure.
First let’s talk about the ingredients:
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is a powerhouse of antioxidants, antibiotics, and works as a stimulator of cell growth. It’s also rich in calcium, sodium, iron, potassium, manganese, zinc, folic acid, amino acids and vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C and E. Aloe vera is suitable for all skin types including highly sensitive skin.
- Witch Hazel: Witch Hazel has both antibacterial and antiseptic qualities which can help skin conditions such as acne, psoriasis and eczema. It also shrinks blood vessels (which helps tighten skin), promotes faster wound healing, soothes itching, and refreshes and rejuvenates the skin.
- Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender has tissue regeneration and healing properties that can quickly relieve burns.
- Peppermint Essential Oil: Peppermint contains menthol which has a cooling effect on the body bringing much needed relief for sunburns.
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil: Eucalyptus has antiseptic qualities making it good for healing wounds, burns, cuts and sores.
• 2 oz Distilled (of Filtered) Water
• 1 oz Aloe Vera Juice
• 1/2 oz Witch Hazel
• 18 drops lavender essential oi
• 9 drops eucalyptus essential oil
• 3 drops peppermint essential oil
• 4 oz spray bottle
Combine ingredients in a 4 oz spray bottle. Keep refrigerated.
Note: All supplies and DIY kits available at the Molly Muriel Apothecary in Milwaukie, Oregon.
How To Apply:
Shake well to disperse essential oils, then spray onto any areas of sunburned or parched skin.
• Do not use this oil blend on children under the age of 10. If you want to make your After-Sun Spray safe for children ages 6+ simply omit the eucalyptus essential oil.
• Test the spray on a small portion of your skin first. If you experience any sensitivity or irritation, do not use.
• Do not apply essential oils directly to your skin. They must be diluted in a carrier oil or water-base.
• Molly Muriel Apothecary is not a medical doctor by any means, so we cannot guarantee this spray will work for you. Consult your doctor before using essential oils.