One of my resolutions for 2016 is to dedicate more time to self-love. I’ve realized just how important it is to truly take care of ME. Treating myself to a hot bath or a massage not only eases my stress and anxiety, it also calms my body and helps ground me. While focusing on self-care this past month, I’ve been looking for new ways to treat my skin with homemade bath and body products as well.
I’m what one might call a ‘creative maker’. I love using my creativity and infusing a little extra love into the food I cook and the gifts I make. Since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I thought I’d make up a pretty sugar scrub to compliment anyone’s self-care routine using all natural ingredients.
About the ingredients:
The basic ingredients for any body scrub are sugar (or salt) and oil. I’ve also added in hibiscus flower powder (to give it a natural pink color), rose petals (because they’re pretty) and some additional oils:
• Vitamin E oil is a nutrient and antioxidant. It works as a great skin moisturizer, has anti-aging benefits and is known to be a ‘universal cleaner’ for the skin.
• Lavender essential oil is most known for its calming, stress reducing qualities. It also has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties that make it a great skin healer and is known to help reduce age spots.
• Geranium essential oil is both balancing and relaxing. As an astringent, it helps reduce wrinkles and has anti-aging effects on the skin. It also helps in the treatment of skin conditions like acne and dermatitis.
• Frankincense essential oil is known as the “King of Oils” and has been revered for centuries for its comforting and spiritually enlightening properties. Frankincense is also very good for your skin. It promotes healthy cell regeneration and keeps existing cells and tissues healthy.
• 1 cup sugar (white or brown)
• ½ cup coconut oil
• ¼ cup rose petals
• 1 teaspoon hibiscus flower powder
• ½ teaspoon vitamin E oil
• 12 drops frankincense essential oil
• 12 drops geranium essential oil
• 24 drops lavender essential oil
Mix together the dry ingredients (sugar, hibiscus powder and rose petals) in a bowl. If your coconut oil is in its solid form, pop it into the microwave for about 30 seconds or until melted. Add to the sugar mixture along with the vitamin E oil and essential oils. Stir until combined and spoon into small glass jars.